Studies & Papers
- Motorcycle Lane-Share Study Among California Motorcyclists and Drivers 2013 & Comparison to 2012 Data – Update to the original 2012 lane sharing survey. Click through for analysis, data tables and full survey PDF.
- Motorcycle Lane Share Study Among California Motorcyclists and Drivers 2012 (PDF) - conducted on Behalf Of The California Office of Traffic Safety
- Commuting by Motorcycle Impact Analysis (PDF) - Belgian study from 2012, assessing the benefits of motorcycle commuters for all drivers and traffic.
- Lane Splitting on California Freeways (PDF) – excellent study of lane splitting in California by James Ouellet, who worked on the Hurt Report.
- Oregon Department of Transportation ‘MOTORCYCLE LANE-SHARING’ Literature Review (PDF)
- Lane Sharing: A Global Solution for Motorcycle Safety – paper by Steve Guderian examining the safety benefits of lane splitting. Includes a comparison of motorcycle rear end accidents in California versus comparable states, finding that “Motorcycle rear-end impact deaths as a percentage of all motorcycle deaths is quite a bit higher than the all-vehicle rear-end impact percentage in Florida (12.7% vs. 8.5%), Texas (10.8% vs. 7.5%), and the US (9.0% vs. 6.2%). In California, the percentages(8.5% vs. 7.3%) are closer, and they are lower than the comparison states.“
- Lane Sharing as a Motorcycle Safety Practice; A Further Evaluation – another paper by Steve Guderian, a follow-up to Lane Sharing: A Global Solution for Motorcycle Safety.
- Motorcycle Industry Council Position on Lane Splitting (PDF) – Official position statement in support of lane splitting issued by the MIC in 2011. “In full consideration of the risks and benefits of lane splitting, the Motorcycle Industry Council supports state laws that allow lane splitting under reasonable restrictions.” Includes lane splitting guidelines that are similar to the CHP guidelines, although less specific and a bit more lenient.
Links & Such
- LaneShare.org - “A grass-roots collaborative effort by motorcyclists and motorcycle safety professionals to promote lanesharing.” Lots of great information.
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration lane splitting issue statement – “Although lane splitting is allowed in just a few areas of the United States, notably California, it appears to be worthy of further study because it offers a means of reducing congestion in addition to possible safety benefits. It is widely used in many other countries.”
- State motorcycle laws - comprehensive AMA resource page with motorcycle laws – including lane splitting – by state. Includes on- and off-road information.
- RideToWork.org - “501 c4 non-profit organization, advocating and supporting the use of motorcycles and scooters for transportation, and providing information about everyday utility riding to the public.”
- Old City Bike article from 1997, “Lane Splitting 101″ reproduced on a website that looks to be from about the same time.
Have a link that should be here? Please send it in and we’ll add it.